Quietus Forum
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

Quietus Forum

An America's Army Brotherhood, Mostly!

HomeLatest imagesSearchRegisterLog in

The long awaited AA3

Go down 
4 posters
AuthorMessage
Epicurean

Epicurean

The long awaited AA3 Empty
PostSubject: The long awaited AA3   The long awaited AA3 I_icon_minitimeFri Jun 19, 2009 2:35 am

All my experience from this game was from the beta, since naturally the game is much more buggy than they expected. All betas are buggy, but it wasn't that bad considering.

The actual game is having lots of problems. Auth servers were overwhelmed by the amount of players it had attracted and as a result, training is nearly impossible to complete as the scores won't save. No solutions are in sight, so I wouldn't recommend DL'ing it for about a week.

As for the actual game play, it's awesome!! It's much less camper friendly, which made the game so much more fun. I can tell you now some of the maps are going to have 320 spam problems (the replacement to the M203) but apparently those are bugged too. Everyone on your team is a medic, and like 2.0, no one medics. Unlike 2.0 however, everyone has to take the training. Smile The SAW had the biggest redesign imo, it follows a BF2 playstyle in which the player is better off dropping prone whenever he encounters opfor.

The only maps that they've incorporated into 3.0 was bridge and pipe (not pipe sf, mind), and it doesn't look like they'll be putting in any others. I didn't get to play bridge much, since in the beta the entire map was bugged to the point no one could even get in. As for the looks, pipe gained a couple decades of aging--in its current state, it looks more like a bomb was dropped on it. As for bridge, it looks like God took a giant heat lamp and melted the 20 feet high snow mounds to reveal an entire neighborhood at each spawn point! Razz The middle tower now has a middle level as opposed to a roof-only type deal, and smokes are much less helpful. Smile

I might also mention that there's no longer a so-and-so killed so-and-so in the chat log, and for some maps the opfor is no longer informed when assault takes an obj. In pipe, you can take the valves as you please with the opfor none the wiser, but in one of the new maps, opfor gets a warning when you pick up a carryable objective. I'm not sure if it's a server-side decision to show obj status or not...

AND DON'T FORGET ABOUT THE HIGH SPEED COMBAT ROLLS! When sprinting, you can use the crouch button to slide homerun style behind cover, and similarly for prone. Sooooooooo awesome.

On the downside, the system requirements are excessively high. I have a nearly brand new gaming laptop that still has problems with it graphics wise.

Err, sorry in advance for the crazy here-nor-there style of posting. It's been awhile, y'know? Razz
Back to top Go down
Saint
Caretaker
Saint

PostSubject: Re: The long awaited AA3   The long awaited AA3 I_icon_minitimeFri Jun 19, 2009 7:42 am

I've downloaded AA3 too... Was curious to know what it'd be like. And it's ok. It's an entirely new and different game, I think. Much more realistic.
I walked around offline in the new maps and they look nice.
Bridge looks awesome. There are these awesome towns on each side of the bridge. And the bridge is going over a huge river. And if you look to the side you'll see a lighthouse in the distance... Beautiful views.
Pipeline is sooo great looking. It actually looks like a warzone now. The courtyard is totally trashed. It finally looks like an abandonned factory. Only downside, I think, is that the roof above the main pump room has holes in it, which I think will cause lots of spamnades going through it.
But they also changed the objectives everywhere. Now, on each map, you can have different objectives. So you can have a VIP Bridge, where you have to take one specific person across the bridge. Or a Extraction Bridge, where both teams need to recover a briefcase from the mid tower and bring it to the extraction point.

Megan is right. I think the SAW has changed the most, weapon-wise... But I think with most weapons it's gonna be much harder to hit someone without your sights, unless you're fighting cqb. Nades & smokes have changed much too. I haven't tried them on enemies yet, but they seem a lot less effective.

Also, Megan, the training does save if you completed it. It'll just take a few hours for it to save to the AA-servers, apparently. Which is kinda annoying, but it's because authorization is overloaded. I didn't realize there were still so many people that play AA.
Back to top Go down
https://quietus.forumotion.com
Legionnaire

Legionnaire

PostSubject: Re: The long awaited AA3   The long awaited AA3 I_icon_minitimeFri Jun 26, 2009 9:18 pm

i finished 2 very hellish weeks of training tody. to reward myself, i downloaded the new AA, mostly just to test out my new computer.

HOLY SHIT. i am literally a noob all over again. not only has it been like years since i last played with any sort of regularity, but the game is a lot different!

my account is Quietus_Legionnaire. my soldier name is Eriannoigel. and i guess there is no m24?
Back to top Go down
Ever

PostSubject: Re: The long awaited AA3   The long awaited AA3 I_icon_minitimeFri Jun 26, 2009 9:27 pm

My brother plays it regularly and I watch him. He enjoys it but its quite buggy. I've seen the vault seems to be a bug issue and a switch gun/unlimited ammo bug without killing the person seems to be another. Otherwise, the graphics have improved from what I saw and you can add an aimpoint on an AR apparently from what my brother said.
Back to top Go down
Epicurean

Epicurean

PostSubject: Re: The long awaited AA3   The long awaited AA3 I_icon_minitimeFri Jun 26, 2009 10:48 pm

Legionnaire wrote:
i finished 2 very hellish weeks of training tody. to reward myself, i downloaded the new AA, mostly just to test out my new computer.

HOLY SHIT. i am literally a noob all over again. not only has it been like years since i last played with any sort of regularity, but the game is a lot different!

my account is Quietus_Legionnaire. my soldier name is Eriannoigel. and i guess there is no m24?
There isn't an M24 as of yet... I know they're adding secondary MOSs (so I'm guessing they'll add combat medics and maybe combat engineers, from what the devs said... but they were also fired) and one of those might be sniper. For now, they have a Squad Designated Marksman, who's equipped with the former acog sf site.

It's meant to be a teamwork/combat sim type game, so it's not as easy to run around pubnubbing. Imo it's very fun and about as realistic as they'll get to real life as they'll get.

Ever wrote:
My brother plays it regularly and I watch him. He enjoys it but its quite buggy. I've seen the vault seems to be a bug issue and a switch gun/unlimited ammo bug without killing the person seems to be another. Otherwise, the graphics have improved from what I saw and you can add an aimpoint on an AR apparently from what my brother said.
You can add an aimpoint to the M16, M4, and SAW once you've completed a certain training. Also a very cool feature, since ironsites have been out of date for a very long time. We qualified with ironsites, but after that it was what was essentially the aimpoint.
Back to top Go down
Saint
Caretaker
Saint

PostSubject: Re: The long awaited AA3   The long awaited AA3 I_icon_minitimeSat Jun 27, 2009 7:48 am

Yeah, this game is a lot of fun. I've been playing some bridge every now and then... It's a lot more teambased. A lot less Rambos. I like the Coin Award feature. So far I've earned the Hawkeye Coin (5 confirmed' kills in 1 round), and the Walk It Off Coin (complete objective after being revived), and I also won the Against All Odds Coin (win the game being the last man and outnumbered) but I don't have that one anymore probably because of the bugs in the first few days.

A lot more people are healing people now. Mainly because you can use all the help you can get in this game. So when you're incapacitated, they'll revive you to get some help. And I love how there's still room for you to screw up with the Smelling Salts & Saline or Splints... You actually have to pay attention to what you're healing here. Not just running towards someone and hit F. I haven't seen what happens if you choose the wrong one yet, but I'm guessing the patient will die. Freaky!

The SDM is as close as you'll get to a sniper right now, but that gun is so popular it's almost impossible to get. I think the weapon selection is honor based, and there's a lot of whores in this game. And all of them want the SDM. It's basically a m16 with a scope & a longer barrel.

Also being Squad Leader is cool, because in some servers you can decide where your teams start. For example, you can let team A start in the middle of the bridge, and team B in the tower and team C at your actual spawn.

Bridge is a lot harder now, mainly because you look across. This makes it easier for the enemy sniper to pick you off. But that run and slide thing really helps dodging the sniper.

And Mark, that Vault thing is kinda buggy when you use it on low objects.
Back to top Go down
Ever

PostSubject: Re: The long awaited AA3   The long awaited AA3 I_icon_minitimeSat Jun 27, 2009 8:20 am

Saint, my brother claims the influx of hackers is very high? I can't tell whether my brother sucks(very good possibility) or there is a lot running around. What is your take on the subject
Back to top Go down
Legionnaire

Legionnaire

PostSubject: Re: The long awaited AA3   The long awaited AA3 I_icon_minitimeSat Jun 27, 2009 9:57 am

how do i figure out if yall are playing and what server your on? i wanna play with saint again Very Happy
Back to top Go down
Epicurean

Epicurean

PostSubject: Re: The long awaited AA3   The long awaited AA3 I_icon_minitimeSat Jun 27, 2009 10:38 am

@ Saint,
I liked the idea of the saline salts, OTP (which is more commonly known as the nose hose), and whatnot, but it's SO FRUSTRATING when people mess it up. It's not like it's difficult, either! There are no more than 4 symptoms and people still mess it up...

@ Legion,
I don't think they've made a tracker/friends feature yet. If you and who you want to play with downloaded AA through steam, you can use that friend feature and join the server your friend is in, but other than that, it's a no go.
Back to top Go down
Saint
Caretaker
Saint

PostSubject: Re: The long awaited AA3   The long awaited AA3 I_icon_minitimeSat Jun 27, 2009 11:11 am

Ever wrote:
Saint, my brother claims the influx of hackers is very high? I can't tell whether my brother sucks(very good possibility) or there is a lot running around. What is your take on the subject

I have yet to encounter my first hacker... So either I'm the clean servers or I'm so awesome I don't notice because I kill them anyway...

JM!! XFIIIIRREEE!!!
Back to top Go down
Ever

PostSubject: Re: The long awaited AA3   The long awaited AA3 I_icon_minitimeSat Jun 27, 2009 1:27 pm

Saint wrote:
Ever wrote:

I have yet to encounter my first hacker... So either I'm the clean servers or I'm so awesome I don't notice because I kill them anyway...

JM!! XFIIIIRREEE!!!

Probably awesome. Does anyone have an .ini file? If so upload it here so I can see whats inside it.
Back to top Go down
Legionnaire

Legionnaire

PostSubject: Re: The long awaited AA3   The long awaited AA3 I_icon_minitimeSat Jun 27, 2009 1:51 pm

cool ill download xfire

im playing this map thats awesome! i dont remember what it is called, but it kinda reminds me of a mix of village and urban. I think its called alley

im really liking the changes so far. i love that youcan bleed out and then kind of be revived, that was a feature i have been wanting them to add for awhile now and really adds to realism. i also like how you dont know if you killed someone or not until the end of the round forthe same reason.

I like how you cant see how much ammo you have. i like how if you relaod a half used magazine, its gone forever (learned that the hard way).

i REALLY like how your aim is realy bad unles you bring the sights up, and then the sights are accuarte, but bounce around alot with recoil. it feels much more realistic than the old game.

i also like vaulting, although its a bit buggy still, and the running slides are awesome!

i dont like how you throw grenades like pussies. its taking some getting used to, ive already killed myself a few times bouncing frags off walls i was trying to throw over
Back to top Go down
Ever

PostSubject: Re: The long awaited AA3   The long awaited AA3 I_icon_minitimeSun Jun 28, 2009 8:28 am

One of these days I'll steal it from my brother and play it. I just play BF2 now.
Back to top Go down
Saint
Caretaker
Saint

PostSubject: Re: The long awaited AA3   The long awaited AA3 I_icon_minitimeWed Feb 10, 2010 10:30 pm

I finally got to installing AA3 on my new computer... Just wanted to see how the gameplay would be with better graphics and a good fps. And it was ok. I enjoyed my game, but I noticed again that if your computer is much better, the game gets a little easier too. It's either that or I joined a server full of newbies.

So I went back to Bridge to get to know the ropes again.. And in my first round I went kamikaze on them and killed 2 guys and then they took me down immediately. Second round I took a more tactical approach and killed 6 of them, and finished the round. The following 4 rounds I never died and always contributed to my team with killing at least 2 per round... But after they killed me again, I pulled a Legionnaire and picked off the rushers with my sniper, and then rushed to the middle killing their entire team. Earned myself a Hawkeye badge too. Hehe.

I had fun with this game, although after playing Call Of Duty, every now and then I was wondering why I was playing a game with such awful graphics...
Back to top Go down
Epicurean

Epicurean

PostSubject: Re: The long awaited AA3   The long awaited AA3 I_icon_minitimeThu Feb 11, 2010 7:48 am

I tried playing AA3 about two weeks ago, but I couldn't get punkbuster to cooperate with me. Instead I just untrained my Borderlands habits back into what's "realistic" if you want to call it that. Sad
Back to top Go down
Saint
Caretaker
Saint

PostSubject: Re: The long awaited AA3   The long awaited AA3 I_icon_minitimeThu Feb 11, 2010 8:47 am

Worked perfectly for me. I even started up a new account, and linked it to my old account and because of that I didn't have to do any training, except for the Mout course.

I downloaded Borderlands yesterday. Never heard of it before then. But it looks kind of cool, so I wanted to try it.
Back to top Go down
Epicurean

Epicurean

PostSubject: Re: The long awaited AA3   The long awaited AA3 I_icon_minitimeThu Feb 11, 2010 8:59 pm

It isn't much for story/plot, but it's fun. The multiplayer is disappointingly (at least for computer) lacking, though.
Back to top Go down
Epicurean

Epicurean

PostSubject: Re: The long awaited AA3   The long awaited AA3 I_icon_minitimeSat Feb 20, 2010 1:28 pm

What did you think of Borderlands, Mr. Saint?
Back to top Go down
Saint
Caretaker
Saint

PostSubject: Re: The long awaited AA3   The long awaited AA3 I_icon_minitimeMon Feb 22, 2010 3:04 am

So far, I've only played it for about 20 minutes. Only the first part of the first level, I think. I like the graphics a lot, but the gameplay is kind of easy. It's a decent game, but not my favorite.
If you like games with these kinds of graphics then you should try and play XIII. I don't know if the graphics are still great by todays standards, but when I played that game years back it was an amazing game.
Back to top Go down
Sponsored content

PostSubject: Re: The long awaited AA3   The long awaited AA3 I_icon_minitime

Back to top Go down

The long awaited AA3
Page 1 of 1