Quietus Forum
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

Quietus Forum

An America's Army Brotherhood, Mostly!

HomeLatest imagesSearchRegisterLog in

Volunteering

Go down 
+2
Ghost
Ever
6 posters
AuthorMessage
Ever

Volunteering Empty
PostSubject: Volunteering   Volunteering I_icon_minitimeSun May 24, 2009 9:30 pm

Has anyone done volunteering? I'm trying to get more down on my resume because I can't work this summer(4 summer classes till 7/21). I wanted to do something near my field but its very limited. Not many people want to volunteer people doing medical procedures on them.
Back to top Go down
Ghost

Volunteering Empty
PostSubject: Re: Volunteering   Volunteering I_icon_minitimeTue May 26, 2009 10:43 am

Red Cross Volunteering?
Back to top Go down
Saint
Caretaker
Saint

Volunteering Empty
PostSubject: Re: Volunteering   Volunteering I_icon_minitimeTue May 26, 2009 11:09 am

No, sperm donors...
Back to top Go down
https://quietus.forumotion.com
Auctoris

Auctoris

Volunteering Empty
PostSubject: Re: Volunteering   Volunteering I_icon_minitimeTue May 26, 2009 12:29 pm

I would ask professors in your field for ideas, otherwise any volunteer work would look good on a resume. you could center it on volunteering for medical causes like raising money for cancer research or something
Back to top Go down
Ever

Volunteering Empty
PostSubject: Re: Volunteering   Volunteering I_icon_minitimeTue May 26, 2009 7:01 pm

Auctoris wrote:
I would ask professors in your field for ideas, otherwise any volunteer work would look good on a resume. you could center it on volunteering for medical causes like raising money for cancer research or something

Sadly, I'm still at community college where my professors are never around/get canned. I was going to apply for ROR[Reach out and Read]. Its a subsidary to Children's Hospital of PA. As for Ghost, good choice. I'm looking at that, I wish I could give Intravenous blood removals from the Medial Cubital Vein and Cephalic vein.
Back to top Go down
Legionnaire

Legionnaire

Volunteering Empty
PostSubject: Re: Volunteering   Volunteering I_icon_minitimeTue May 26, 2009 10:17 pm

the only volunteering i ever did was through school or some extra curricular activity. but if i were to volunteer in some particular field, professors, or especially TA's would be somewhere good to start. you could even ask some of your peers, im sure a lot of your classmates are also looking for volunteer work or have already found some.

and if you give up and just want any sort of volunteer work, habitat for humanity is awesome. you get to build stuff which is sweet, with like hammers and shit.

also, your local animal shelter im sure is always looking for volunteers. that was how i racked up a lot of my volunteer hours in high school, playing with dogs. its a pretty sweet deal, tho it sucks when you have to clean their cages and stuff but its still well worth it Very Happy
Back to top Go down
Ever

Volunteering Empty
PostSubject: Re: Volunteering   Volunteering I_icon_minitimeWed May 27, 2009 5:39 am

Legionnaire wrote:
the only volunteering i ever did was through school or some extra curricular activity. but if i were to volunteer in some particular field, professors, or especially TA's would be somewhere good to start. you could even ask some of your peers, im sure a lot of your classmates are also looking for volunteer work or have already found some.

and if you give up and just want any sort of volunteer work, habitat for humanity is awesome. you get to build stuff which is sweet, with like hammers and shit.

also, your local animal shelter im sure is always looking for volunteers. that was how i racked up a lot of my volunteer hours in high school, playing with dogs. its a pretty sweet deal, tho it sucks when you have to clean their cages and stuff but its still well worth it Very Happy

My classmates are bums. Most don't work or volunteer. I'm just trying to get volunteer hours in because if I pursue a MD they require a lot of volunteer time before applying into the school. My school we never had to do volunteer hours which I was surprised actually. Most schools I know have an inverted pyramid scale from freshman year(10hrs) to senior(40).
Back to top Go down
Auctoris

Auctoris

Volunteering Empty
PostSubject: Re: Volunteering   Volunteering I_icon_minitimeWed May 27, 2009 11:12 am

volunteer at the local animal shelter. i can't believe you never told me you did that jM (unless i forgot).
Back to top Go down
Legionnaire

Legionnaire

Volunteering Empty
PostSubject: Re: Volunteering   Volunteering I_icon_minitimeWed May 27, 2009 9:29 pm

yeah, i went to the animal defense league for like a total of 7 or 8 hours or something like that in high school, to help build up my community service for my national honors society application.

haha you sound shocked by this. you may or may not have known. i dunno, since i usually talk about dark and disgusting absurdities, i doubt my community service has come up much in conversation :-P i think even aaron went once with me, which really is shocking haha

squeaks, thats interesting, i dont know of any schools in texas that have mandatory community service. its usually just something more motivated students do to stand out for college applications and such.
its not a bad idea tho, get those lazy ass kids out there and improve society a little bit! [/crotchety old man routine]
Back to top Go down
Ever

Volunteering Empty
PostSubject: Re: Volunteering   Volunteering I_icon_minitimeThu May 28, 2009 6:06 am

Legionnaire wrote:
squeaks, thats interesting, i dont know of any schools in texas that have mandatory community service. its usually just something more motivated students do to stand out for college applications and such. its not a bad idea tho, get those lazy ass kids out there and improve society a little bit! [/crotchety old man routine]

I'm going to volunteer at all 3[ROR, Local Shelter and Red Cross]. As for community service, its very common up here. Even into some colleges[St.Joseph's you need volunteer hours to graduate]. As for the time frame its 40hr per semester etc
Back to top Go down
Ever

Volunteering Empty
PostSubject: Re: Volunteering   Volunteering I_icon_minitimeSun Jun 07, 2009 7:24 pm

I decided to volunteer at a hospital, granted its in the hood but its a graduate school hospital i'm looking into.
Back to top Go down
Saint
Caretaker
Saint

Volunteering Empty
PostSubject: Re: Volunteering   Volunteering I_icon_minitimeSun Jun 07, 2009 10:05 pm

Scrub...
Back to top Go down
https://quietus.forumotion.com
Zero
Liability
Zero

Volunteering Empty
PostSubject: Re: Volunteering   Volunteering I_icon_minitimeMon Jun 08, 2009 6:42 pm

be a candy striper. my cousins did it and got good money and experience in the hospital. one found out they want to be a doctor from that the other found out they hate working with sick people.
Back to top Go down
Legionnaire

Legionnaire

Volunteering Empty
PostSubject: Re: Volunteering   Volunteering I_icon_minitimeMon Jun 08, 2009 7:22 pm

be a stripper
Back to top Go down
Ever

Volunteering Empty
PostSubject: Re: Volunteering   Volunteering I_icon_minitimeMon Jun 08, 2009 8:50 pm

Zero wrote:
be a candy striper. my cousins did it and got good money and experience in the hospital. one found out they want to be a doctor from that the other found out they hate working with sick people.

I'll look into this. I kinda blew a good volunteer job in PA by applying late. It was at a Cancer Research center. Oh yeah, screw your physics. I hate that shit, I have to do it with out a calculator and it sucks. Its calc with physics too.

Legionnaire wrote:
be a stripper
I'm not down with dicks near my dick.
Back to top Go down
Sponsored content

Volunteering Empty
PostSubject: Re: Volunteering   Volunteering I_icon_minitime

Back to top Go down

Volunteering
Page 1 of 1

Permissions in this forum:You cannot reply to topics in this forum
Quietus Forum :: Open Forum-