Quietus Forum
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

Quietus Forum

An America's Army Brotherhood, Mostly!

HomeLatest imagesSearchRegisterLog in

Lauren

Go down 
4 posters
AuthorMessage
Ever

Lauren Empty
PostSubject: Lauren   Lauren I_icon_minitimeFri May 29, 2009 8:27 pm

Question: Since Rutgers Won't let me minor in Biochemistry(sucks), I'm opting out and minoring in Psychology. Since I'm a bio major(more neuroscience I'm leaning towards the physiological side of it). I was wondering if you could aid me in my choices?

01:830:272 Drugs and Human Behavior (3) Drug classification; contexts of drug usage; effects of various drugs; analysis of drug action in the central nervous system; aspects of "human nature" revealed by drug usage. Prerequisite: 01:830:101.

01:830:310 Neuropsychology (3) Survey of brain damage and plasticity, brain trauma and disease, neuropsychological assessment and testing, cognitive rehabilitation, and current controversies. Provides a basic understanding of brain structure and function along with an appreciation of clinical perspectives. Prerequisite: 01:830:101.

01:830:313 Physiological Psychology (3) Physiological determinants and mechanisms of behavior. Prerequisite: 01:830:101.

01:830:365 Hormones and Behavior (3) Relationship between hormones, the nervous system, and behavior; sexual, parental, aggressive, and ingestive behaviors; fear, coping, learning, and memory. Emphasis on higher vertebrates, including humans. Prerequisite: 01:830:101. Recommended: One year of general biology.

01:830:366 Hormones and Behavior Laboratory (1) Laboratory experiments in hormones and behavior. Prerequisites: 01:640:112, 115, or tested placement in calculus; 01:830:200. Pre- or corequisite: 01:830:365.

01:830:412 Neuropsychopharmacology (3) Effects of drugs on behavior. Emphasis on central nervous system mechanisms and clinical psychopharmacology. Prerequisites: 01:830:101, 211; or 313.

01:830:413 Neuropsychopharmacology Laboratory (1) Research on the effect of drugs on animal behavior. Prerequisites: 01:640:112, 115, or tested placement in calculus; 01:830:200 or permission of instructor. Pre- or corequisite: 01:830:412.
- These I want to take[bolded ones].

Heres the Link the site
http://catalogs.rutgers.edu/generated/nb-ug_current/pg20690.html

Last edited by Ever on Sat May 30, 2009 7:03 am; edited 2 times in total
Back to top Go down
Auctoris

Auctoris

Lauren Empty
PostSubject: Re: Lauren   Lauren I_icon_minitimeSat May 30, 2009 3:02 am

ok, i've looked at the catalog, but i'm really tired...so i WILL get back to you in the time it takes to sleep a lot and get up
Back to top Go down
Ever

Lauren Empty
PostSubject: Re: Lauren   Lauren I_icon_minitimeSat May 30, 2009 6:58 am

No rush, I have till Mid/End July to choose.
Back to top Go down
Auctoris

Auctoris

Lauren Empty
PostSubject: Re: Lauren   Lauren I_icon_minitimeTue Jun 02, 2009 4:51 pm

I've got a quick question. Does the minor require certain classes, like I"m assuming you have to take General Psych as a prereq. for most of the other classes?

I'd say your selection of courses is very apt for what you're interested in. It's basically a neuroscience minor Razz I would only recommend additions to the list, like:

01:830:211 Principles of Psychobiology (3) Introduction to the relationship between brain and behavior. Topics such as structural bases of perceptions, learning, emotions, and abnormal behaviors. (consider this as an intro course for neuroscience)

01:830:315 Comparative Psychology (3) Evolution of behavior. Prerequisite: 01:830:101.

01:830:316 Comparative Psychology Laboratory (1) Experiments designed and conducted with animals to demonstrate or test principles of comparative psychology. Prerequisites: 01:640:112, 115, or tested placement in calculus; 01:830:101, 200. Pre- or corequisite: 01:830:315. Consider this as the lab might be fun. poking and prodding animals is a useful skill

01:830:363 Behavioral Pharmacology (3) Effects of drugs on physiological and behavioral mechanisms. Prerequisites: 01:830:101; 211 or 313. Consider this one as well. At Baylor, they required Clinical AND Behavioral Neuroscience courses

In addition to these, I might suggest an Advanced Topics Course so you can take a more focused look at a topic of interest (if it's possible) or taking a course that places you in a job setting (internship/community service, whatever). This would be another way of gaining experience on the ole' resume (killing 2 birds with 1 stone, college credit and work experience)
Back to top Go down
Ever

Lauren Empty
PostSubject: Re: Lauren   Lauren I_icon_minitimeTue Jun 02, 2009 8:35 pm

Auctoris wrote:
I've got a quick question. Does the minor require certain classes, like I"m assuming you have to take General Psych as a prereq. for most of the other classes?

Yep, I've already taken Gen Psych at my CC. Most of the classes just need Gen Psych unless its a bio psych which has like 900 pre-reqs.

Quote :
I'd say your selection of courses is very apt for what you're interested in. It's basically a neuroscience minor Razz I would only recommend additions to the list, like:

01:830:211 Principles of Psychobiology (3) Introduction to the relationship between brain and behavior. Topics such as structural bases of perceptions, learning, emotions, and abnormal behaviors. (consider this as an intro course for neuroscience)

This one is interchangeable with the Physio course. Either would suit me fine, its probably going to come down to time frame.

01:830:316 Comparative Psychology Laboratory (1) Experiments designed and conducted with animals to demonstrate or test principles of comparative psychology. Prerequisites: 01:640:112, 115, or tested placement in calculus; 01:830:101, 200. Pre- or corequisite: 01:830:315. Consider this as the lab might be fun. poking and prodding animals is a useful skill

Looks interesting, I'll look into that

01:830:363 Behavioral Pharmacology (3) Effects of drugs on physiological and behavioral mechanisms. Prerequisites: 01:830:101; 211 or 313. Consider this one as well. At Baylor, they required Clinical AND Behavioral Neuroscience courses

That looks interesting, def taking that. I know Baylor requires a lot of clinical work and known for vast amounts of studies produced yearly.

In addition to these, I might suggest an Advanced Topics Course so you can take a more focused look at a topic of interest (if it's possible) or taking a course that places you in a job setting (internship/community service, whatever). This would be another way of gaining experience on the ole' resume (killing 2 birds with 1 stone, college credit and work experience)

Whats kinda scaring me, as a Neuroscience Major I feel like I'm pinning myself to one thing rather than a broad degree. Which sucks because you overlap any class that is another Minor (Chem,Biochem, Molecular Bio etc). A Department head at a Pharm Company also told me about this too, that he felt like I was holding myself to a "main thing" rather than being more open. I'm trying to get some clinical experience classes which would help me a lot. If I could get clinical psych lab work that would help my resume. Like I said, I wouldn't want a college UG to be shooting me up in my median cubital vein. I also have to get the Dept Head's signature for the Neuroscience Major[due to it being a "hard" science] so I need to get that done. If for some reason he didn't allow me, I'd do Molecular Bio and Biochemistry as a Major and Psych[Minor].
Back to top Go down
Ever

Lauren Empty
PostSubject: Re: Lauren   Lauren I_icon_minitimeWed Jun 03, 2009 7:43 am

Oh yeah, Thanks. Forgot to add that with that post.
Back to top Go down
Ikarus

Ikarus

Lauren Empty
PostSubject: Re: Lauren   Lauren I_icon_minitimeTue Nov 17, 2009 4:50 pm

Everyone's off to college now...how interesting. But Rutgers; Lame.
Back to top Go down
Legionnaire

Legionnaire

Lauren Empty
PostSubject: Re: Lauren   Lauren I_icon_minitimeTue Nov 24, 2009 2:13 pm

yeah, a neuroscience major is very specific for an undergrad degree. not that it really matters, if you had that degree you could get a job doing most anything in the biology field that anyone with a UG degree could do. its just odd, ive never heard of that major before.
Back to top Go down
Auctoris

Auctoris

Lauren Empty
PostSubject: Re: Lauren   Lauren I_icon_minitimeTue Nov 24, 2009 2:51 pm

What? UT doesn't have that as a major? you know, I spent some time looking at UT's course-listings and programs. It certainly made me jealous and sad that I couldn't take some of the sweet-sounding classes.

BUT, on this day, I discover my school has something UT doesn't (apparently). go neuroscience.
Back to top Go down
Legionnaire

Legionnaire

Lauren Empty
PostSubject: Re: Lauren   Lauren I_icon_minitimeTue Nov 24, 2009 7:05 pm

well, i dont ever remember seeing it or hearing about it or meeting anyone who was in that major. its an assumption on my part that UT doesnt offer it based on that, but i very well may be wrong.

UT does have a lot of aweosme obscure classes tho 8-)
Back to top Go down
Ever

Lauren Empty
PostSubject: Re: Lauren   Lauren I_icon_minitimeThu Nov 26, 2009 10:18 pm

Ikarus wrote:
Everyone's off to college now...how interesting. But Rutgers; Lame.

Shut your whore mouth. Rutgers was the best cost:education situation for me. Michigan was 58g a year not including traveling expenses. Rutgers undergraduate school of human sciences rapes UT. However post graduate degrees they do have an edge. Although, lauren has a better school undergraduate/post graduate degrees.

Legionnaire wrote:
yeah, a neuroscience major is very specific for an undergrad degree. not that it really matters, if you had that degree you could get a job doing most anything in the biology field that anyone with a UG degree could do. its just odd, ive never heard of that major before.
Very true, as a neuroscience degree they make you have a well rounded background in biochem, genetics and molecular bio. They all intertwine though, so it gets rather repetitive. At rutgers, its pretty cut throat now since they almost have roughly 600 students graduate semesterly with a Cell bio/neuro degree. So jobs become quite sparse around pharmaceutical areas which the degree is mostly geared to. Also, majority of Human bio students loathe other sciences(mycology, ecology, geology, hydrology and the list continues). So a student with a Neuro degree would more than likely stay way from certain bio jobs. I changed my major to Microbiology due to the inability to ever register for a pre-requisite class of it. They only hold one pre-requisite class to become a Neuro/Cell bio major for ~1600 students trying to major in it. Microbiology is just as interesting, it is just on a more molecular level and on an agar plate. Working with infectious diseases, carcinogens and testing pharmaceuticals is pretty fucking sweet. Also, if I get a possibility of working at the Waksman Institute(Selman Waksman created streptomycin-TB drug) which would be crazy. I still have to use Polymerase Chain Reactions and various genetic protein extraction procedures(flow cytometry, electron microscopy, microarray and phosphoimagers) that I would of had to use in Cell Bio & Neuro.

Auctoris wrote:
What? UT doesn't have that as a major? you know, I spent some time looking at UT's course-listings and programs. It certainly made me jealous and sad that I couldn't take some of the sweet-sounding classes.

BUT, on this day, I discover my school has something UT doesn't (apparently). go neuroscience.

UT does have a neuro program, however it is neurobiology. Which is the study of life forms of neurology(glial cells, astrocytes etc..). However neuroscience is more pharmaceutical, pathological and molecular level study basis.

Roberto: Check your pms.
Back to top Go down
Ikarus

Ikarus

Lauren Empty
PostSubject: Re: Lauren   Lauren I_icon_minitimeThu Dec 03, 2009 2:12 pm

Who cares about degrees? UT football rocks your socks off.
Back to top Go down
Ever

Lauren Empty
PostSubject: Re: Lauren   Lauren I_icon_minitimeSat Dec 05, 2009 1:06 am

Ikarus wrote:
UT football rocks your socks off.

Florida is better but #3 is still legit.
Back to top Go down
Legionnaire

Legionnaire

Lauren Empty
PostSubject: Re: Lauren   Lauren I_icon_minitimeSun Dec 06, 2009 11:46 pm

florida is better? huh... thats interesting cause they arent going to the championship...
Back to top Go down
Auctoris

Auctoris

Lauren Empty
PostSubject: Re: Lauren   Lauren I_icon_minitimeMon Dec 07, 2009 1:31 am

I felt so sad for Tebow, but I think it's because I just noticed that he's left-handed and has dazzling blue eyes.

What a Face
Back to top Go down
Ever

Lauren Empty
PostSubject: Re: Lauren   Lauren I_icon_minitimeMon Dec 07, 2009 10:16 am

Legionnaire wrote:
florida is better? huh... thats interesting cause they arent going to the championship...
True, I thought they would of beat Bama. I was more supportive of Bama regardless. Tebow just had the stats behind him, thats why I said that. Saban is a monster coach.

Auctoris wrote:
I felt so sad for Tebow, but I think it's because I just noticed that he's left-handed and has dazzling blue eyes.

What a Face

Hate to break it to you, hes gay supposedly(wouldn't be surprised).
Back to top Go down
Legionnaire

Legionnaire

Lauren Empty
PostSubject: Re: Lauren   Lauren I_icon_minitimeTue Dec 08, 2009 12:26 am

Ever wrote:
Legionnaire wrote:
True, I thought they would of beat Bama. I was more supportive of Bama regardless. Tebow just had the stats behind him, thats why I said that. Saban is a monster coach.

Auctoris wrote:

What a Face

Hate to break it to you, hes gay supposedly(wouldn't be surprised).

whered you hear that? i seriously doubt it, cause Jesus wouldnt love him. but wait, he did lose... so maybe jesus doesnt love him... he is gay!
Back to top Go down
Ever

Lauren Empty
PostSubject: Re: Lauren   Lauren I_icon_minitimeTue Dec 08, 2009 6:57 pm

Legionnaire wrote:
whered you hear that? i seriously doubt it, cause Jesus wouldnt love him. but wait, he did lose... so maybe jesus doesnt love him... he is gay!

Supposedly, he dates a baseball player from people down south say. That is what I just heard, whether it is true or not is the question. However, these people are from UF.
Back to top Go down
Auctoris

Auctoris

Lauren Empty
PostSubject: Re: Lauren   Lauren I_icon_minitimeTue Dec 08, 2009 7:12 pm

Let's be honest, it's all about fantasy anyway. If this were reality, his religiosity would get in the way just as much as homosexuality :-D

Tebow is old news, what about McCoy and Shipley. according to some fans in a stadium, I hear they're gay together.
Back to top Go down
Ikarus

Ikarus

Lauren Empty
PostSubject: Re: Lauren   Lauren I_icon_minitimeMon Jan 04, 2010 10:51 am

If McCoy & Shipley is wrong, I don't wanna be right.
Back to top Go down
Sponsored content

Lauren Empty
PostSubject: Re: Lauren   Lauren I_icon_minitime

Back to top Go down

Lauren
Page 1 of 1

Permissions in this forum:You cannot reply to topics in this forum
Quietus Forum :: Open Forum-
Jump to: